An Introduction to Crieff, Perth and Kinross

103 13
Crieff is a small market town in the very heart of Scotland with a population of approximately seven thousand.
It is located in the county of Perth and Kinross, lying on the A85 road.
It has become a popular hub for tourists mostly due to its extensive history in whiskey and cattle droving.
Some of the most popular attractions are the Glenturret Distillery and the Caithness Glass Visitor Centre.
The name of the town comes from Gaelic, meaning amongst the trees.
The town was first historically recorded back in the twelfth century.
At this point it was granted charter in the year 1218.
The older history of the town is now very vague and there is little remaining that tells us much about how the town was.
It is, however, known that there was a mill in the town by the middle of the fifteenth century.
The nearby Drummond Castle, about two and a half miles away from the town, was founded in the end of the fifteenth century under the license from James IV.
For many centuries, the town was a place where farmers would come down from the Highlands to sell their cattle.
Over the years, the town became a very popular and important trading hub for the Lowland of Scotland and the north of England.
Since Victorian times, the town became a significant tourist resort and is now the second largest town in the county.
The centre of the town is marked by the impressive fountain located in the middle of James Square.
The town is situated on the river Knock.
Tourist attractions in the area also include an impressive Victorian spa are known as the Crieff Hydro.
The town also has an impressive park which is opened about a hundred years ago Macrosty Park.
The name of the town comes from Gaelic, meaning amongst the trees.
The town was first historically recorded back in the twelfth century.
At this point it was granted charter in the year 1218.
The older history of the town is now very vague and there is little remaining that tells us much about how the town was.
It is, however, known that there was a mill in the town by the middle of the fifteenth century.
The nearby Drummond Castle, about two and a half miles away from the town, was founded in the end of the fifteenth century under the license from James IV.
For many centuries, the town was a place where farmers would come down from the Highlands to sell their cattle.
Over the years, the town became a very popular and important trading hub for the Lowland of Scotland and the north of England.
Since Victorian times, the town became a significant tourist resort and is now the second largest town in the county.
The centre of the town is marked by the impressive fountain located in the middle of James Square.
The town is situated on the river Knock.
Tourist attractions in the area also include an impressive Victorian spa are known as the Crieff Hydro.
The town also has an impressive park which is opened about a hundred years ago Macrosty Park.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.