- 1). Ensure both gateposts are plumb and level, and measure the distance between them with a tape measure.
- 2). Subtract the amount of space necessary for proper hinge and latch clearance, and use the resulting figure for the horizontal frame width. Clearances vary by manufacturer and application; consult the instructions provided with the latch and hinges for exact dimensions.
- 3). Cut two straight pieces of 2-by-4 to the previously determined length, and paint or stain them, if desired.
- 4). Use a tape measure to determine the distance between the top and bottom fence stringers, and cut two 2-by-4s to the same length.
- 5). Select a clear, level area and lay out the gate frame with the boards set on their narrow edges. Use butt-joints to connect the horizontal and vertical pieces, and square the corners with a framing square. The horizontal boards should overlap the vertical ones.
- 6). Secure the corner joints with 2 1/2-inch deck screws driven through the sides of the horizontal pieces into the ends of the vertical boards. Use two screws for each corner.
- 7). Support the gate frame on two 2-by-4s set on their narrow edges, and slide another 2-by-4 underneath the gate frame so that it runs from a top corner to the opposite bottom corner. This will form the diagonal cross-brace for the gate frame.
- 8). Mark the diagonal brace where it crosses each corner, and remove it from under the frame.
- 9). Cut the diagonal cross brace at each end, following the previously marked angles.
Ensure that the brace fits snugly inside the gate frame, and attach it with 2 1/2-inch deck screws.
Attach the fencing boards or other material to cover the gate frame, then the hinges. The gate now is ready to hang.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- 0lagiarized Custom Written Term Papers
- Meriden Ski Club
- WoW Paladin Guide - Bubble Trouble
- Winning at Scrabble
- Fantasy Fights: Lennox Lewis vs Wladimir Klitschko
- Learning To Play Golf
- When Is The Right Time To Buy Dissertation
- What Style of Skateboard Should I Buy?
- What Is Oceaongraphy?
- Investigating The Best Racing Games For The Xbox 360
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us